Atrix International, Inc. (Atrix) has had a longstanding commitment to minimize our impact on the environment. We consider environmental stewardship to be of great importance. This ethic is demonstrated by our practices and policies for recycling, waste reduction, and resource management.
Atrix subscribes to the five principles of the Electronic Industry Code of Conduct (Code 4.0):
- Health and Safety
- Management System
The EICC establishes standards for Labor, Health and Safety, Environment, Management, and Ethics. Atrix’ defined programs are appropriate to our mission, scope of operations, and corporate goals.
Atrix is also committed to comply with applicable laws, regulations and related contractual
requirements pertaining to Social and Environmental Management Systems (S&EMS).
Energy Conservation Energy Conservation
- Product Redesigns: In 2008, Product Redesigns: , we redesigned three models of our vacuum cleaners to include a newly designed motor from Ametek. These new vacuum cleaner motors were specifically designed to be more powerful, quieter, more energy efficient and longer life. On average, these new models use 20% less energy than competing models and are rated at two times the life of competing models.
- Programmable Thermostats: In 2000, we installed programmable thermostats throughout the building.
- SMART PLAN: In 2013 we have initiated a new plan with a goal to reduce our electricity usage by 5% annually and gas usage by 2% annually.
UPDATE: On September 25, 2014, we completed our last phase of Operation Smart Plan. This phase consisted of a large investment into upgrading plant lighting. We have replaced every style of light in our building to new efficient lighting. With this new upgrade, our goal in fiscal 2015 is to reduce our electricity usage 20% over 2013 numbers.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Production and Testing equipment consumes our largest amount of energy. Consequently, electricity is our largest variable energy input. However, we will not
compromise our quality control processes that directly support our unrelenting standards for top quality products. However, our lighting upgrade per our Operation Smart Plan completed on September 25th, 2014 will reduce our output of CO2 by 34.4 Metric Tons Yearly.
- Drinking Water Consumption – In 2012, we replaced our bottled water with on-site
filtered water hooked up directly to tap water.
- Optimized Shipping – Both incoming and outgoing shipping has been optimized, when
possible, to reduce frequency of truck deliveries.
- Recycling Program: Our recycling program encompasses cardboard, office paper, aluminum cans, electronics, fluorescent lights and batteries. Since 2007, we have brought all broken, old and obsolete electronic waste, fluorescent lights and batteries to an authorized waste management facility.
- Recycling Training
- Recycling Training Program: All employees are trained and tested on the proper usage of recycling receptacles.
- Recycling Receptacles:
- Office Paper
- Aluminum Cans
- Fluorescent Lights
- Vacuum and Filter Packaging materials are carefully specified so that they can be
reused in customer shipments.
- Since 2011, we have redesigned the packaging for two models of vacuum cleaners. This redesign eliminated over 10% of packaging materials.
- Our warehouse reuses/re-purposes 95% of incoming packaging materials.
- Atrix recycles our empty toner cartridges through the Brother Environmental Program. We print postage paid labels off their website and return the empty cartridges in the box that the new ones came in.
- Minimize/Eliminate Printing
- Atrix’s sales literature, data sheets and technical documentation are primarily distributed in electronic format.
- 50% of our internal reports are distributed via email. When we must print reports, most are double-sided. 2014 goal is 75%.
- In 2010, we stopped purchasing foam coffee cups. All employees use washable coffee mugs. We encourage our employees to bring their own reusable dishes and silverware from home.
- Toiletry Supplies: Since 2007, our facility is stocked with only earth friendly bath
tissue and paper towels that are Processed Chlorine Free (PCF) and Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certified.
- With Our Operation Smart Plan Lighting upgrade being completed on September 25, 2014, our number of replacement bulbs is cut by 50% since this lighting upgrade reduced the overall number in our plant by half. In addition, since they are all NEW, we will not have to replace a single bulb to landfill for at least 4 years.
RoHS2 Compliance: Atrix transitioned all products to comply to the semiconductor industry’s standard of RoHS2 (Reduction of Hazardous Substances).
REACH Compliance: Atrix manufactured products comply to REACH (Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals) and do NOT contain chemicals classified as Substances Of Very High Concern. Please download our REACH document concerning the 161 substances of very high concern (SVHC) here: REACH Documentation
We have taken many opportunities to conduct business with the objective of ecological responsibility and we can take more. We set numeric goals in:
- Energy Conservation
- Waste Management
Management Audits of Performance
Environmental Goals and Programs are a permanent agenda item for management review and
discussion on a WEEKLY basis.
On a monthly basis, management will review and self-assess with internal audits of our social and environmental performance against our system requirements, objectives and goals, as well as review any areas of weakness in our knowledge of or changes to S&EMS, including discussion of additional areas or goals that we can cascade to all of our employees.
In over 32 years of operation, we have never had any regulatory fines or penalties. In the event we ever incur any regulatory fines or penalties, we will publicly disclose them here.
Environmental Management Systems
Cascading of Environmental Goals and Requirements to Major Suppliers Goals and Measuring
- Major providers of goods and services are requested to develop and maintain similar
goals, programs and structures.
- Letter from Atrix to Major Suppliers on supply chain and environmental responsibilities.
Please click here to download a copy of this Corporate Responsibility and Environmental Management Compliance Form